Moving up to Rails 2.1! See events in your Timezone!
So I finally wanted to sort out a lot of the timezone issues that have been in HTC. Things like an event being imported at 2 PM EST, but stored in the database as 2 PM GMT! Which is 5 hours off!
Rails 2.1 offers a couple of features that will simplify the HTC codebase including:
- Timezone support, and make comparing dates and time easier
- Built in support for “scoped” data, like show me all folks opted out, or opted in to HTC
- Tracking data changes aka “Partial Updates” or “Dirty Objects”. Right now it’s a bit of pain figuring out what data for a Person/Organization has changed, and therefore should be tracked for provenance usage
The upgrade has been the usual battle, partly caused by trying to do it on a new laptop so I had to install all the prerequisties, but also because many of the plugins I use now have moved from SVN to GIT, and so I need new software to handle that!
Some of the changes are:
- Update strip_attributes
- Install Git
- Update Rspec and Rspec Rails plugins
- Tweak specs since I moved from 1.0.8 to 1.1.4
- Remove scope_out plugin